भारतीय विज्ञान शिक्षा एवं अनुसंधान संस्थान कोलकाता
INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE EDUCATION AND RESEARCH KOLKATA
Doctor of Philosophy Programme (DBS)
PhD Advertisement for Autumn 2021 semester (DBS)
Along with dedicated high-quality teaching, the faculties of the Department of Biological Sciences are actively engaged in working on a variety of research problems ranging from basic sciences to applied sciences using cutting edge technologies employing multidisciplinary approaches. For carrying out the various challenging research work, our PhD scholars are the main work forces. Located amid lush greenery and quiet environment, here, our students pursue their research carrier with loads of enthusiasm, perseverance and hard work under the caring guidance of the highly skilled and acclaimed faculties and eventually establish themselves in their professional field.
If you would like to enroll yourself into our vibrant PhD programme at DBS and also at some other departments with interest in the interdisciplinary biological fields, please see the details below and act accordingly.
Applications are invited from motivated candidates having master’s degree such as M.Sc/MS/ME/M.Tech/MVSc/MSc(Ag) degree or equivalent (with minimum 55% marks) in:
- Any branch of biological sciences to pursue research in the broad fields of Cellular and Molecular biology, Cancer biology, Developmental biology, Structural biology, Chemical biology, Plant biology, Plant molecular and developmental biology, Plant genetics, Plant tissue culture, Molecular Microbiology and Plant virus, Behavioral biology, Ecology, Evolutionary biology, Genetics, Marine biology, Neurobiology, Biodiversity, Microbiology, Biophysics, Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Food technology, Physiology, Human Physiology, Medical Biotechnology and theoretical biology, Epigenetics and Chromatin Biology. Candidates from agricultural science (such as genetics and plant breeding) and nutritional science backgrounds are also encouraged to apply.
- Chemistry / physics / statistics / mathematics / computer application / computer science to pursue research in the interdisciplinary research areas as specified in the table below:
Applicants must have any one of the following qualifications:
- Qualified a National Eligibility exam that provides a 5-year PhD fellowship such as CSIR-JRF / UGC-JRF / DBT-JRF-A / ICMR-JRF / DBT-BINC-JRF / Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship.
- INSPIRE-PhD fellowship (should be in possession of provisional selection letter at the time of Interview).
Institute Funded student positions: A few positions for institute- funded fellows in selected fields might be opening up, details of which will be announced soon.
Additionally, there are a few project funded positions also available in the following specific fields:
Project funded PhD student(s)
1. A project funded PhD position is available in Integrative Taxonomy and Microbial Ecology Research Group (PI- Professor Punyasloke Bhadury) on ecology and health of coastal ecosystems.
Essential Qualification: Master’s including Integrated MS in Biological Sciences/Environmental Sciences with minimum 55% marks. Candidates need to have qualified one of the National eligibility exams – CSIR-UGC/ NET LS/ GATE/JAM/JGEEBILS/ICMR-JRF/ etc. Previous proven background in undertaking extensive field work in coastal ecosystems, proven background in water chemistry and ecology-based measurements are needed. Candidates should clearly mention their area of interest in their SOP in line with the theme of ecology and health of coastal ecosystems. Highly motivated candidates who have a proven track record to develop and design field-based measurement approaches will be preferred.
* Please note that fulfilling the minimum essential criteria does not ensure that a candidate will be called for the interview. Additional short-listing criteria might be set by the department based on academic records, experience and research interest of the candidates.
For more information on specific faculty research profiles, visit :Click Here
Application Portal opens : 15 March 2021
Application Portal closes: 15 April 2021
Publication of the list for interview: 26 April 2021
Interview Window : 20 May 2021 to 31 May 2021
Publication of the list of selected candidates : 21 June 2021
Doctor of Philosophy Programme
How to apply:
1. Please have your picture (soft copy, preferably in JPG or PNG format) ready.
2. Please read the department wise eligibility criteria carefully.
3. The applicants should open the link (http://apply.iiserkol.ac.in/application) and properly fill the application form as instructed. The form can be opened and edited/corrected until the last date.
4. You must complete your application, incomplete application will be rejected.
5. Applicants should save the properly filled application form and take the printout after you finish and bring the signed copy at the time of interview if you are shortlisted.
6. Download the Recommendation Letter, bring this document at the time of interview. Recommendation should be in a sealed envelop.
Selected candidates for test/interview should bring a hard copy of application along with the required documents listed below at the time of test/interview:
Attested copies of mark sheets and certificates of all examinations starting from high school leaving certificate, two letters of recommendation (in sealed envelopes), photo identity and proof of age.
List of shortlisted candidates (based on merit, subject specialization and required research area) for interview will be published in the IISER-Kolkata website.
The Institute will not provide any TA/DA or accommodation for attending the interview.
The selected candidates will receive the offer letter containing also the last date for joining shortly after the interview.
Course Work and Laboratory rotation:
The Research fellows may have to do course work and laboratory rotations during first semester depending on which Department they join. The course content will be decided by the Department concerned for each student according to his / her need.