Sr. R&D Associate
- Job ID: R-27062
- Category: Research/Development
- Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra
We are looking to hire a R&D Associate /Sr. R&D Associate – CTI and Appraisal in Hair category based in Mumbai:
Hair is one of the fastest growing categories of HUL in South Asia. It is the growth engine for Hair globally with double digit growth year on year and exemplary margin delivery. It has market leadership with over 50% share in the region with India business having ~51% share. Our aspiration is to grow the core business along with premiumisation, driving penetration with wins over 50% TO focus on purposeful brand growth by investing in sustainable packs, products and ingredients, development for new channels and fuel bottom line with end-to-end value change engineering. Key brands for the region are Clinic Plus, Dove , Sunsilk, TRESemme, Indulekha, Brylcream to name a few.
Consumer Technical Insights is an integral part of the R&D function and is instrumental in bringing the consumer insight early on in the development stage of the product.
The role requires to manage CTI and advance appraisal activities in collaboration with GDC, RDC formulation, CMI, legal and regulatory teams to support the Hair care specific projects e.g., project planning, logistic arrangements, tracking timelines, sample organizing, maintaining budget sheets, co-ordination/set up of salon and appraisal tests, consumer tests and data analysis
This position will be a member of the Cluster Design CTI & Appraisal Team and will be responsible for design & deploy of the regional CTI and appraisal program for key brands in Hair.
This Role demands close collaboration with other cross-functional team (Product development, Processing, CMI & CTI, Brand , Engineering, Procurement etc) and external 3Ps and CROs.
Be fully operational and work independently to drive Consumer research and appraisal aspects of projects effectively,
- Independently managing CTI activity planning for consumer research, ensuring the support for product research, risk management, ensuring compliance with ethics and legal requirements of South Asia
- Translate product properties & performance into consumer actionable insights.
- Proficiency in use of data mining, global trends brainstorming, out of category brainstorming, third party briefing as a mean to drive more ambitious communications
- Anticipate assessment and minimization of environmental, safety, regulatory, PR and competitive challenges
- Build and maintain strong networks with cross functional (Brand, CMI, Clinical etc.) and R&D Cluster teams
- Responsible for Legal & regulatory clearances of products in all South Asia countries (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal)
- The ability to work across a number of complex projects simultaneously,
- The person needs to manage multiple complex projects and logistic issues simultaneously – to deal with multiple functional teams, 3rd party, Market Research agency and to coordinate with the R&D teams to have the product samples in time to initiate projects as per timelines, to ensure budgets are maintained through the year.
- To have the right ability to run evaluation, appraisal capabilities, manage logistics, interact with salon experts, train them regularly, recruit consumers for sensory and booth wash panel and keep them motivated to be a part of the same over the years.
- Should have the ability to assess the concerns that need immediate escalation to line manager
- Assimilate the regional requirements for the product/innovation, feeding it back to the Global team during early engagement stage of project
- Direct visibility to stakeholders in appropriate projects/forums.
- Successfully manage the Cross-Functional interfaces for Large complex projects
- Have good understanding of the Consumer Habits and Attitudes and Need Gaps and is able to translate the same into technical requirements for a project
- Good knowledge of hair and skin Science, experience in Hair Care and appraisal for personal care products would be valuable.
- Experience in consumer research is preferable or experience of working in Personal care categories.
- Working knowledge of consumer quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Ability to work independently with cross-functional partners and external parties to lead the project work.
- Working knowledge of statistical tools and data analysis and interpretation
- Understanding of legal marketing law and product regulations regionally
- Basic understanding of analytical methods and microbiology
- Experience in working on global projects.
- Excellent presentation skill
- Ability and experience to work with stakeholders remotely located in different parts of the world.
Experience (Profile and Years)
More than 3 -4 years of experience in consumer research and/or appraisal analytical department for FMCG with deep understanding and hands- on experience
Postgraduate in Science stream (Biochemistry, Microbiology, Zoology, Biology, Chemistry, basic sciences) or
postgraduate in cosmetic technology
Very intermittent, domestic/ local travel to 3P suppliers