Reporting to the Director General, the Chief Scientist (cs) will provide high level guidance and advice on all the scientific aspects of the Center. The CS is expected to lead the research and development activities of the Center to position ICBA as the Center of excellence in marginal environments. The Chief Scientist is responsible for leading the Center’s scientific research directions and operations through managing effectively and efficiently the research programs affairs; maintain the confidence and cooperation among the scientific team; and create an enabling environment conducive to intellectual research and development growth. The Chief Scientist is expected to play a major role in the Center’s resource mobilization effort through program development and cultivating and maintaining strong relationships with stakeholders and donor agencies.
- Advise and support ICBA’s board and Director General on all scientific research and development aspects in line with the center’s strategies.
- Provide direction in the formulation and development of the research strategic plan of the Center.
- provide science and management leadership in all research activities, as well as transferring knowledge to society through outreach e.g., collaborative research; seminars; workshops; lectures; websites; publications, in the research areas of the Center.
- Identify innovative research for development and technology transfer, to keep the Center at the leading edge of research, especially for the marginal environments of the world.
- Formulate, develop, and implement scientific programs based on ICBA’s strategic priorities.
- Lead, manage, and empower a team of the Center’s Lead Scientists to create an enabling environment that motivates and ensures the optimal performance of the ICBA research staff.
- Oversee the operation of ICBA’s Research Stations.
- Represent the center in relevant international fora and high-level scientific committees, events, and conferences.
- Lead the scientific high-level interactions required with national, regional, and international organizations.
- Collaborate with ICBA’s Partnership and Resource Mobilization Unit on funding proposals as well as to ensure efficient execution of the funded projects.
- Collaborate with the Monitoring and Evaluation Unit regarding impact reports and external reviews of the center’s R&D activities.
- Ensure effective communication to promote the Center’s research.
- Perform other tasks and projects as requested by the Director General.
- PhD in agricultural/life sciences, or related scientific field.
- A minimum ten years of work experience (beyond doctoral degree), in agricultural research, preferably at international recognized agricultural research centers or universities.
- Strong publication record.
- Solid experience in proposal writing, and skilled with grant-funded programs.
- Ability to foster multidisciplinary research within the Center and with its regional and international collaborators.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Written and spoken communication in the Arabic language.